Contact: email@example.comLiterary Agent
Lucy Luck Associates
18-21 Cavaye Place
London SW10 9PT
tel: +44 (0)207 373 8672
Speak Out - 0131-440-9226
international reputation as a prize-winning novelist,
Ron Butlin is a former Edinburgh Makar / Poet Laureate (2008-2014).
In 2009 he was made the first ever Honorary Writing
fellow (together with Ian Rankin) at Edinburgh
University. Much of his poetry, as well as many of his
novels and short stories, have been broadcast and
translated into over a dozen languages. In addition to his
plays for BBC radio and theatre (most recently Sweet Dreams for
Oran Mor in Glasgow), he has written six operas, three of
them for Scottish Opera.
See tabs (above) for more details. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Now over to
This is my first proper website update for year! So, many apologies to everyone for the previous lamentable state. Please blame my e-ignorance and my skill at procrastination.
In the meantime, I have completed a new novel, Ghost Moon,
which was four years in the writing. Published in April (Salt
Publishing), it has recevied great reviews in the Independent and the
TLS among others, and was most unexpectedly given a pretty five star thumbs-up
in the Daily Mail. With composer Lyell Cresswell, I have also completed
a new opera, Wedlock, for Scottish Opera.
A quick update (as of June 2013) -
1. My recent poetry collection, The Magicians of Edinburgh, is now into its seventh printing. Polygon have recently commissioned a new collection - without even seeing a single poem. A record for poetry, perhaps! I'm now well over halfway there.
2. For this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival I'm devising a new show, A Very Edinburgh Celebration! when I'll be appearing once again with acclaimed musicians Dick Lee and Anne Evans.There will be a eight-day run (18-25 August) at the Scottish StoryTelling Centre on the Royal Mile (next to John Knox's house). Please check out details and our 5 ***** reviews for last year at
Also, I'll be appearing at the Edinburgh International Book Festival (12 Aug) and hosting a series of Tafika Europe shows featuring northern European Literature at Summerhall
3. After an off-the-cuff speech I gave at a Back Room Dinner last autumn, I was signed up on the spot by an agency specialising in public speakers! I'm now on the books with John Sargeant, Brian Taylor, Janice Forsyth and other media stars. I've been dining and speaking ever since! See my immodest page on the agency -
(Contact - Speak Out: 0131-440-9226). Please feel free to book me!
4. While on a reading tour / holiday trip in Switzerland recently, I wrote a children's story in verse - Getting Rid of the Trolls. A publisher is interested, but it's a slow, slow business. Anyway, it was fun, whatever happens.
5. I've just finished a series of poems commissioned by the Commonwealth Games. To be performed in Glasgow with jazz ensemble, Dr Lee's Prescription, thereafter at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival and venues during the Fringe.
6. I'm working on a new novel, The Mozart Invitation.
6. I'm shortl;y off on a reading tour of Eastern Europe, ending up in Poland which I've never before visited. Exciting!
I look forward to hearing from you, if you wish to get in touch!